While none of us really want to start doing the dishes after dinner, it is a necessary evil for those who cannot afford the space for a built-in dishwasher. However, you can solve the problem by buying the best countertop dishwasher instead.
However, even the best countertop dishwasher’might be movable, but do not have enough space to load all the dishes.
The countertop dishwasher is a combination of portability along with ample internal capacity. If you are looking for one, here are 10 reviews that will help you to find the best countertop dishwasher.
Best Countertop Dishwasher of 2020
hOmeLabs Compact The Best Seller Countertop Dishwasher
If you desire to improve washing dishes experience with the help of a dishwasher that won’t consume you a lot of kitchen space and money, then probably hOmeLabs HME010033N might work for you. This unit is designed with excellent cleaning performance and convenience perfect to fit on a countertop.
Design and Build Quality
hOmeLabs HME010033N designed this unit with small households in mind. The model displays a simple yet sleek and stylish contemporary design to match any kitchen design. The controls are design with LED display and light indicators with no knobs, handles, and dials.
Most striking features is the stainless-steel interior which is highly durable and can withstand the forces of tear and wear for a longer period of time.
Despite being a compact dishwasher, the interior is built to accommodate up to 6 places setting capacity suitable size for small kitchen needs.
This compact unit has six wash cycle options meant to perform different functions. Thereby, you can choose to clean dishes either, normal, heavy, glass, rinse, ECO and speed. With all these options even the toughest sticky food stains can be removed.
The rinse aid dispenser ensures streak-free shinning dishes and with minimal damage to your countertop dishwasher.
You don’t have to connect this model with hot water inlet since the unit heats water on its own. The stainless-steel interior provides quality, functionality, and effectiveness that ensure the dishes get clean with hygiene and consistent results for a long time.
Ease of Use
The LED display offers a user-friendly experience. The controls are easy to use; you just need to set up how you want your dishes cleaned.
In addition, light indicators are so convenient, just load the utensils on the dish basket and rack and wait for cleaning ending indicator light. However, if you want to clean the dishes later, simply press on the delay button.
For reliable usability, a water failure indicator will alert you. During the cleaning process, its noise level is about 55dB not so much indeed. For better results each time, utilize the rinse aids designed for automatic devices.
DELLA Portable Compact The Best Small Countertop Dishwasher
Ideal for small families or individuals living in RV, boat, and apartments with inadequate space for big kitchen appliances. Well designed to provide the reliability that a full-size dishwasher would. It’s a great quiet machine that needs your attention.
Design and Build Quality
DELLA countertop dishwasher measuring 19″ length, 21.5″ width, and 17″ height compact design to fit your small kitchen countertop space.
It is finished either in black, silver or white that allow you to select the perfect color based on your preference.
The interior is built with stainless steel featured are a long-lasting rack, cup shelf and silverware basket that ensure smooth and easy loading and unloading of freshly cleaned utensils.
Despite its compact size, this unit just like hOmeLabs HME010033N come with six setting capacity that can fit standard dinner plates. Plus, it can accommodate enough dishes in one wash.
Just like most models, this unit has six programmed wash cycles which include heavy, normal, glass, ECO, speed and rinse that user can set according to washing needs.
The stainless-steel interior is convenient in rendering and dependable washing with consistent results. Previously mentioned rinse aid dispenser comes in handy to ensure your utensils are not only clean but also without any marks.
Ease of Use
DELLA countertop dishwasher is very user-friendly. Using the electronic control panel that allows easy set up of the required washing mode. Also, the light indicator alerts you about undergoing a wash cycle making your work easier.
Furthermore, not only is the installation easy but it equally provides an option to delay start your dishwasher by 2, 4 and 8 hours. Therefore, making it one of the best dishwashers in regards to user-friendliness.
If you are a constant traveler no need to worry since this unit comes with a quick-connect kit that connects it with kitchen faucet and then drains water down into the kitchen sink.
BLACK+DECKER BCD6W Compact Dishwasher The Best Countertop Dishwasher
Are you someone looking for a dishwasher that is compact and enough to fit in your cramped kitchen? The Black+Decker BDC6W is a compact dishwasher with a sleek design and a pleasing user interface. It is energy star-certified, highly portable and offers you plenty of features.
Design and Build Quality
This Black+Decker unit has been constructed with you in mind. Aesthetically, it is very easy for the eyes. It contains a sleek design that’s accompanied by attractive colors mainly black and white.
Its dimensions are 21.7 by 21.5 by 17.2 inches with a height of 17.2 inches. It comes with an easy loading feature. It has a dish rack and removable utensil basket that slides in and out of the unit effortlessly thus creating room for simple loading and unloading of dirty and clean dishes respectively.
The name compact does not mean that the interior washing space is small. In fact, this unit has spacious interiors of six place setting capacity. This means that it can accommodate dinner plates up to ten.
Its interiors are made of high-quality stainless steel meaning its highly durable and can last for long. Besides, the unit has a compact design that makes it easy to fit in most kitchen cabinets or on tabletops.
Another fantastic feature about this product is its wash cycle and dry cycle. It comes with seven different wash programs. These programs include normal, intensive, 90 minutes, glass, Eco, soak and rapid.
Ease of Use
As this dishwasher is very compact, it fits in most kitchen cabinets effortlessly. Besides, it is simple and quick to connect to your kitchen taps. It also consumes less water in comparison to other portable dishwashers. You can use this dishwasher on a regular basis.
The unit is user-friendly as it contains a digital display control panel that is easy to use has precise setup and adjustments. Aside, its water hook-up, drain connections and other connections are simple and quick to set up. This ensures the machine starts within no time.
Magic Chef The Best Countertop Dishwasher
On the other hand, if you do insist on purchasing a dishwasher equipped with a dryer, you can consider this one from Magic Chef.
This is usually the more viable option for those who do not have the time or the space to dry the dishes separately.
It certainly was a nice change for me, from dealing with soggy cook-wear even after spending money on a dishwasher.
You can add the detergent in the dispenser and relax without having to measure out the exact amount. However, unlike the Costway dishwasher, this one comes with 5 wash cycles.
That could be an inconvenience for those who like their options to not be so limited.
This makes for a lower expense when you are fixing it up. You can even use the setup kit it comes with for easy installation.
SPT Best Price Countertop Dishwasher
For countertop dishwashers, it is not enough for it to be just portable in size.
It needs to be adaptable with every faucet you have at your place as well.
I liked how I could set up the dishwasher, wherever it was convenient for me.
Apart from that, unlike the Magic Chef dishwasher, it comes with 6 wash cycles including a soaking cycle. You can heat the water up to 148 F for better washing.
The interior is built with stainless steel which increases its durability. It comes with detergent and rinse agent dispensers which make it easy to use as well.
This is great if you have a few dishes to deal with but not equipped for larger crockery.
It is perfect as a countertop dishwasher though and because we are talking about a smaller or the requirements for a single user, it could be a good one, to begin with.
SPT SD-2224DW Best Compact Countertop Dishwasher
The SPT portable is probably my favorite out of all the dishwashers on this list.
It is equipped with all the best features that a countertop dishwasher can provide and perhaps more on top.
It comes with an eight place setting which is far better, than the regular six-place setting, which most dishwashers come with.
You can pre-set the operation within 24 hours as well.
The faucet adapter will fit any standard sized aerator, both male and female. You can adjust the rack to accommodate large pots or pans if you want to wash them instead of your plates as well.
This makes it more versatile and almost on par with inbuilt dishwashers.
A couple of my friends have complained that their model started leaking after a while. However, this is not something that I faced and it depends on the individual item.
Apart from that, I have encountered no such obvious flaws with this one.
The larger area allows us to truly use it instead of an inbuilt dishwasher. Moreover, the higher water temperature cleans the dishes better which adds up to its reliability as a dishwasher.
SPT SD-2224 Best for the Money
Unlike the previous dishwashers, the SPT SD offers seven wash cycles.
This includes the usual ones like heavy, light, soak, rinse, normal and speed, along with a ‘miniparty’option that you can access.
Moreover, it has a water supply warning which warns you when you have the faucet turned off.
It happens often that I switch on the dishwasher but forget to turn the water supply on. That could be dangerous at some level.
The LED displays are easy to read as well. In fact, the entire mechanism is very easy to operate, along with its automatic rinse aid and detergent dispenser.
You can pre-set for two, four or eight hours at the most.
Nevertheless, within its range, this is one of the only products that offer a 7 wash cycle option.
Danby Best to Buy Dishwasher
If you want a dishwasher that caters to your economic needs, you can try out this one from Danby.
This is a good product for those who are buying their first dishwasher and doesn’t want something too complicated to handle.
It has electronic controls along with LED display which makes it easy to read and operate the machine.
However, I have noticed that for those plates that are too greasy, this does not produce satisfying results. It is good for taking off a few crumbs stuck to the plates but not more.
However, apart from that, for some light washing, there should be no complaints either.
SPT SD-2213 Best Heavy-Duty Dishwasher
The SPT 2213 is actually a previous model of the SPT 2224 that I reviewed earlier.
There is not much difference between the two except for the fact that the SPT 2213 has six wash cycles instead of seven.
I could put in some of the larger plates with a 10.5’diameter during washing. It has a decent capacity with six place settings.
However, the reason I replaced this dishwasher was that it leaked a lot. That could be a major problem in spite of all the benefits that it offers.
It provides the usual settings and cycle options. However, it becomes a little hard to deal with the leaking on a regular basis.
Ivation Best Budget Dishwasher
While searching for the best countertop dishwasher, I came across this one from Ivation.
This is one of the few dishwashers which really get the job done.
It is equipped with a spray arm that helps to better clean the dishes.
You also get six wash cycles along with automatic dispensers for detergent and rinse agent.
The control panel is built with touch buttons which are very easy to operate. It comes in a compact design which you can store even if a small dorm kitchen.
You can just tuck it between compartments, or true to its name, place it on the counter.
It is good for offices and dorms, more than for families who cook regularly.
Costway Best Countertop Dishwasher of 2018
While we might not have the space required for installing a permanent dishwasher, we do not want to compromise on the outcome either.
The Costway dishwasher equips you with all the facilities that you would get out of an installed one.
You can use the six standard place settings at home for a nuclear family or even at the office. There are six wash cycles that you can choose from according to the occasion.
In fact, the installation process with its quick-connect assembly is one of the easiest that I have ever encountered when it comes to dishwashers.
It has semi-integrated electric controls and the push buttons and rotary cycles are very convenient and easy to figure out. You can pre-set the dishwasher up to 24 hours.
However, you can also extend it by one-hour increments.
However, if you want something that is pre-equipped, you might want to look further.
However, you have to get the water connections separately and install them and that takes a bit of extra work. If you are willing to extend that effort, this is a great option at a reasonable price.
Antogoo Best Table Top Dishwasher
While a dishwasher is great for saving you some effort, it is not that safe when you have little children running around.
The Antogoo comes with a child lock benefit that you can use to keep your baby safe, without having to constantly be on the alert.
Moreover, it is equipped to deal with some of the larger pots and pans, having a 10.5′ diameter capacity. I could wash almost all my cooking utensils with this, and not just the cutlery, cups and plates.
The inbuilt spray arm works to provide a thorough cleaning of your dirty utensils. You can load the cups and the cutlery in separate compartments for better organization.
I loved the internal water heater that can heat the water up to 149 F. That saved me from pre-heating the water.
There is a built-in agent dispenser as well. You can further connect the hose to any water faucet that is convenient for you as well.
While it is not that much of an effort, it is a bit disappointing.
Moreover, the faucet fitting is standard which is convenient for most people as well.
Koldfront Best Affordable Countertop Dishwasher
Quite similar to the EdgeStar dishwasher, the Koldfront dishwasher is a good alternative, if you are looking for one.
It requires significantly less energy compared to most other dishwashers.
I could set it up at an input voltage of 120 V, which was easy enough to find.
Like the SPT dishwasher, you get the quick connect adapter that can fit with most of the faucets as well. Moreover, the five feet hose makes it easy to set it up at a place of your convenience.
The best part is, apart from a few manufacturing defects, which are individual to the buyer, there is not much you can complain about. While it might not be the best that a dishwasher can offer, it certainly fits the need for small-range users.
But for average sized ones, it has a decent fit. The faucet adapter is an added perk that makes it easier to connect at your will.
Best Countertop Dishwasher – Buyer’s Guide
What is a Countertop Dishwasher?
As its name suggests, a countertop dishwasher is a dishwasher that can be placed on top of a counter.
This is a portable dishwasher, as opposed to a built-in one which you have to fix in one position with a permanent and dedicated water inlet.
Countertop dishwashers, on the other hand, can be fitted to any faucet with the help of a connecting adapter. The drain hose positioned behind it acts as an outlet for the dirty water.
Moreover, a countertop dishwasher consumes less energy than a built-in one.
This is, often a preferable option for smaller family units or singles.
How Do You Install Countertops?
- To install a countertop dishwasher, firstly, choose a position. It is preferable if it is near to a sink so that you can drain the water easily. Moreover, space should be large enough to fit the dishwasher.
- Then, you need to remove the screws and level the dishwasher with the countertop.
- Most dishwashers come with a connect. You need to remove the aerator of your faucet and put the one with the dishwasher on instead. You can take this off when you need to use the tap separately.
- Now, connect the water input hose to the faucet on one end and to the dishwasher on the other. Position the drainage hose into the sink as well.
- Make sure that everything is secured to prevent any leaks. Test out the water hoses before you begin to load the dishes.
How Do You Measure a Countertop To Replace?
To measure and replace countertops:
- Draw the design of your countertop on a piece of paper.
- Measure the dimensions of the countertop. If there is any window openings or islands, measure them and jot it down accordingly on the drawing.
- If you are making laminate countertops, cut the line using a masking tape. For a straight cut, use a rip fence.
- According to the line, cut the laminate.
- Sand down the edges after the cut has been made.
How Do You Work a Portable Dishwasher?
- Make sure that there is a water input, a drainage facility and an electric input nearby.
- Many dishwashers do not have an inbuilt water heater. Even if it does, make sure that you add only hot water to the machine.
- Next, attach the inlet hose to the faucet. You might need to use a faucet adapter to secure it properly. Place the drainage hose in the sink as well.
- You can start by placing the plates or any vertical utensils along with the cutlery on the lower rack. You can place your cups and bowls on the upper rack.
- Add the detergent to the dispenser before you close the door.
- Turn on the dishwasher and add the water as well.
- When you are done, unplug the machine and put it away.
How Do You Hook Up a Portable Dishwasher?
- Take off the aerator from the faucet. Replace it with the connection adapter from your dishwasher. Check if the water is hot enough and then turn the faucet off.
- Take out the input and output hoses. Attach the input to the faucet by pushing the collar down and then sliding it on the adaptor before you let the collar ring go. Make sure that the collar is secure enough. Turn the faucet on.
- Plug the dishwasher in.
- Load it, add the detergent and choose your wash cycle.
Can You Convert a Portable Dishwasher To a Built-In?
- Buy a dishwasher installation kit from the same company from which you got your dishwasher.
- You will notice that your dishwasher comes with a drainage hose. You need to remove the pre-installed on and replace it with the new one you will find with the kit.
- Connect this drain line with the dishwasher fitting that you have on your garbage disposal. In case you don’t have a garbage unit, you need to get a separate dishwasher drain adapter in the sink.
- Take off the inlet hose and use the one in the kit as well. Connect it to a shutoff valve on the hot water supply below the sink.
- Next, you must have noticed the wheels on your portable dishwasher. Permanent ones do not require them at all. So you can remove the wheels from the dishwasher.
How Do You Install an Adaptor for a Portable Dishwasher?
- Remove the aerator or strainer from the faucet.
- Look for external strings on the faucet. If the faucet does have external strings, you don’t need to take out the adapter ring. Next, secure the aerator assembly onto the faucet.
- If the faucet has internal threads instead, set the gasket and the ring before securing it. Then install the assembly.
- If you do not find any thread, you can get an adapter from any plumber.
- Place the dishwasher where you want it to be. From the receptacle, take out the coupler and press the thumb release. Connect the coupler with the adapter and release the pressure on the thumb release. This will set the coupler in position.
- When you open the faucet, there should not be any leaks.
How Do You Clean Your Dishwasher?
- Take out the filter. Clean it and then soak it in hot water and soap for about ten minutes before you put it back in.
- Next, take a cup of vinegar and pour it into the bottom of the dishwasher. Make sure that your dishwasher is empty before then. Set a heavy clean cycle.
- Then, pour a cup of baking soda into the bottom of the dishwasher. Let it for one night and in the morning, you can set an empty cycle.
- If there is any dirt left, scrub them off with a toothbrush.
The Bottom Line
There are several brands which offer different features. Before you buy, make a note of your requirements and the size of your utensils If I have to boil it down to just one product for you, I’d most definitely go with Magic Chef.
However, if you are looking for an alternative, specifically designed to accommodate large utensils, Antogoo‘ would be your safest bet. After all, like everything else, the best countertop dishwasher for you depends on your needs.
Don’t forget to check our latest review – Keurig vs Nespresso.